Thursday, May 13, 2010

Changes in Friendships

I'm writing with green today, just because green is so my favorite color. I mean, it just rocks, you know? The color of the grass, the color you think of when you think of nature, the color of Dipsy from the Teletubbies (who was the coolest besides Tinky-Wnky!)... Well, you pretty much get my point. Green is an awesome color.
My best friend Chris and I got into a fight today, as usual about every other day. That's just how we communicate. I mean, if we just sat down and talked like normal people... well what fun would that be? It'd feel weird. :-) Anyways, I don't even really remember what we were fighting over. He said something that made me say he wasn't my best friend anymore, which made him laugh and say I couldn't find another best friend like him. (So not true, but don't tell him I said that!) I started naming off random people, like for example, my friend, Joey, and Chris would say something like, "Oh, so I have to be smart to be your best friend?" I guess it was just one of those "you had to be there" moments because Chris is truly a hilarious guy. I don't think you can find anyone funnier and I promise you that.
But the reason I talked about Chris was because while I was naming off random people, I thought about it and realized that some of those people were people I haven't really considered a real friend in a long time. I got home and went through some of my things from fifth grade and up and found a fan-fic I wrote back when I was 12. It was my own version of Harry Potter, except the main character was Niki Chang. Yes, Niki was me. Harry was one of her best friends. She had five other best friends named Viki Chang, who was her twin (It's not the same Twin who's my best friend today. This was before I met her), Emmie Manson, Ashley Dark, Mike Carrey, and Ginny Levi.
Emmie, Ashley, Mike, and Ginny were all based on four of my best friends in the world. For Niki, they were her best friends all the way into her last year at Hogwarts. Seven years is a very long time to be friends with someone, plus to make it work that long. I honestly thought my friendship with my friends would be as long as Niki and her friends, but I was wrong.
The girl who was Ginny was my friend for year, maybe not even that long. We speak sometimes, but most of the time, she walks on by me and probably doesn't even notice me. The girl who was Ashley was the person who got me into writing fan fiction (So I guess I should be thanking her for my writing career) and I thought we would always be close. I don't know when we started to drift apart, but it feels weird to go by her in the hallway and barely smile, let alone just say "Hi." The guy who played Mike was honestly my brother from another mother, and I figured that we'd always be close. Our friendship changed in like, ninth grade, when we realized he was a lot smarter than me than we thought, he got smarter friends. We do still talk, but not as much as I would like. It's mainly just small talk, nothing like when we were kids.
The biggest change of all though is the girl who played Emmie. Me and her were like sisters from fifth grade and up. Then we became juniors and everything just changed some how. I can't really explain it. It's like one day we're laughing and having a good time, and the next, we don't talk and call or text one another. It was just weird. I still hang out with her sometimes, but it's just not the same from when we were kids.
In books, stories, movies, and T.V. shows, friends seem to stay tight all the way from pre-k to Senior Year. It seems impossible for that to happen in real life, but for a long time, I thought it was possible. Now I don't know what to think anymore. I mean, I have Twin, Chris, Mariposa, and Arianna who I love dearly and I imagine to always be my best friends once we graduate high school, but after what happened with my old friends who I also loved dearly at a time, who's to say things won't change?
Next year will be my senior year, and I don't think I have a single friend from Kindergarten who I want to walk down the aisle to get my diploma with. Girls and boys, all ages, listen. The friends you have now are special. You might be friends forever, you might not be. Look at your friends and if you're sure those are the guys you wanna graduate with, who you wanna get your diploma with, make sure you keep them forever. Don't one day regret drifting away from them. Those are my thoughts and advice for the day. Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment